It's a Book (and Culture) Club!

Staring procrastination in the face since earlier this morning.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Time to get serious

All right, it's halfway through January and I've already been padding my count a little bit. (For the record, I did read Your Three Year Old: Friend or Enemy and it was surprisingly good. Dated, definitely, and a bit like a horoscope in that there were so many descriptions that obviously one of them had to apply to my situation, but refreshingly non-prescriptive.)

It's time to start the book that was the reason Dave and I organized this club in the first place: Braudel's The Structures of Everyday Life. I'll have to give periodic reports on this, since it's not quite a read-it-in-an-hour book. (And, because I can't read macrohistory all the time, I've also started a collection of Roger Angell's essays. What? Pitchers and catchers report in six weeks!)

Last night's read alouds: Eddie's Kingdom, Max and Ruby, The Camel's Lament, Curious George, and Clara and Asha