It's a Book (and Culture) Club!

Staring procrastination in the face since earlier this morning.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Wasting Time

Or improving my brain-power, whichever you prefer. I think on a venn diagram of people who love books, people who love cats and people who blog, you'd find a significant middle section of people who love word games. For me, it started with a little innocent New York Times crossword puzzle in college. I'm still working on mastering the evil Saturday version of that addiction, but I've also branched out. Peter introduced me to Boggle, and then there are the special editorial page puzzles that the New York Times puts together once in a while, and the NPR Sunday puzzler, led by this oddball, and crossword puzzles in other newspapers...and now Babble, which is bascially Boggle on a galactically slow pace. The one puzzle I cannot figure out how to master and would love to? The Atlantic's cryptic crossword, or British crosswords in general. I haven't had the brain flash, and maybe never will. The one puzzle I will never be interested in? Sudoku. What's with the love, people? It's just numbers, no words at all! And we need words, so we can make books out of them, and then our cats can sit on us while we read those books, whereas numbers...totally useless for cats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home