It's a Book (and Culture) Club!

Staring procrastination in the face since earlier this morning.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Dept. of Fitting Ends

So, yesterday afternoon around 4:15 I thought it would be a good idea to go over to the public library and pick up a new round of books for the kids. Others thought this idea was not so good, given the odd green color of the sky, the predictions of serious thunderstorms, and the general fussiness of the kids. They stayed home to fingerpaint.

Flash ahead half an hour. I am in the basement of the library, sheltering as the tornado sirens go off across town. On the radio, the oldies station DJ is advising everyone who is not in a house to find a ditch and lie in it, face down. Scenes from the movie Twister are playing in my head. And as I sit there imagining my imminent demise by wind gust (and ruing the fact that my final thoughts will be of Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt), it seems like a cruelly appropriate way to go. Zil: She died as she lived--overwhelmed by thousands and thousands of books.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The COMO library is precisely NOT the place I would want to be during a tornado warning. All that glass! All that metal! The french-fry sculpture across the street!

heh

I found you via BPhD. I had to say hi to a fellow Columbian.

LM

PS -- I particularly liked the post on The Amazing Bone. Very moving excerpt. I think I'll have to read it now (and I don't even have kids!).

 
At 10:19 AM , Blogger Zil said...

Hey thanks! It's great to hear from a hometown reader.
And agreed on the library. I'm never going there in bad weather again. Though I can only imagine it would be worse for my co-blogger Dave at the Rem Koolhaas-designed Seattle Public Library, with its "dazzling avant-garde symphony of glass and form" (as the website puts it.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home