It's a Book (and Culture) Club!

Staring procrastination in the face since earlier this morning.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Now It Must Be Told

I, Zil McZillerson, read a Nick Hornby book last night before/instead of going to a party. And I liked it. (And it wasn't even a real book, it was The Polysyllabic Spree, a collection of columns about books he's purchased and books he's read written for The Believer, which, though it calls itself a magazine, is puzzlingly lacking in the features I think magazines must have: photo essays on how stars are just like us, for example, or centerfold photos of Appleheaded Siamese. [Don't you judge me.]) (And while we're at the confessions, let me say that I have actually never read any of Hornby's other books, and I'm just guessing at what kind of author he is based on the many fine movies inspired by those books. I said, don't judge me.)
So why did I like it? In true Hornby spirit (at least as far as I know from what John Cusack did in High Fidelity) let me explain by list.

1. Getting me to like the book involved a high degree of difficulty. First, there is the taint of McSweeney's on it--an organization I semi-irrationally but nevertheless wholeheartedly abhor. I helped Hornby out by skipping all the parts of the essays that discuss the McSweeney's collective in allegedly humorous ways. Second, someone had the dopey idea of putting excerpts from books that he talks about in between the columns to pad the book out. I can't imagine who in the world gets inspired to read, say, The Old Curiosity Shop this way. If you weren't already planning to read it, 3 pages in a pamphlet produced by aging hipsters ain't going to do it.
2. The idea of this book is basically the founding principle of "It's A Book Club" as well--that most people who love books and have disposable income own many, many more books than they are ever going to read, which does not stop them from buying still more books at every opportunity. Though Hornby appears to have a lot more bookshelf space that I do.
3. He and I like a lot of the same books, and he reminded me of some books I'd read and enjoyed and then forgotten about, like Adrian LeBlanc's Random Family, which I now vaguely remember getting from the library and reading just after OlderKid was born. (I pause to marvel at my energy back then.) Also, he likes Moneyball, and I'm so excited about the start of spring training that I'll smile benevolently on anyone who even uses the letter "A," let alone writes excitedly about Billy Beane.
4. [Kind of a corollary of 3]. Dickens is his favorite author. While trying to walk YoungerKid to sleep, I spent a long time working out a theory about how people are either Dickens people or (George) Eliot people and I, as my cell phone clearly has been trying to tell me, am a Dickens person. I had to reject this theory as a) reductive and b) possibly the nerdiest thing I've ever thought about. And yet--if you love Dickens, you love excess, eccentricity, black humor, maudlin sentiment, and people named Vholes, and those are all good things in my book. (Yes, I recognize that Dickens also has some less attractive qualities. See the fourth chapter of my forthcoming monograph.)
5. The book made me laugh out loud at least three times, and that was twice more than I did at the party I went to afterwards. (Which really just proves that I shouldn't go out any more because I'm a bitter old teetotaler, but anyway.)

Last Night's Read Alouds: When Sophie Gets Angry--Really, Really Angry..., Hansel and Gretel, The Two Bad Mice, Ferdinand.

4 Comments:

At 9:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, I'm confused: should I have been ashamed all along of liking High Fidelity? I found it completely enjoyable, and, of course, I really love lists.

As to item#4: Zil, I eagerly await the corresponding list of traits shared by Eliot people, though I am named after one of the trademark Dickens sentiments you itemize. I guess I should make that Eliot list myself, but I think you will do a better job. And could i possibly be impartial, as I suspect I may be an Eliot? Ah, I believe I can see people in the field getting quite frenzied over this ...

I just read Erasure, and there were some laugh-aloud moments. Here's what made me laugh aloud in Erasure [context is that the main character is the judge for the national book award and he is tired of reading blurbs, so he writes one he would have liked to have seen]:
"Jo Blow's new novel takes on the mundane and leaves it right where it is. The prose is clear and pedestrian. The moves are tried and true. Yet the book is not so alarmingly dishonest. The characters are as wooden as the ones we meet in real life. This is a tortuous journey through the banal. The novel is ordinary but not insipid, pointless but not meaningless, savorless but not stale" (228).

Now, I'm reading The Known World, finally following Asalad's directive to read it NOW. That's a bit more of a cry-aloud book, viz: "One day, he said to himself, I will call New York my home and all of this will be a long ways away. Even after the many years as Maude's nurse, he would never see New York" (189).

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger David said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:18 PM , Blogger David said...

OK, I'm not an expert on these things, only having read Middlemarch and barely any Dickens -- (I hope that I can remain a member of the book club) -- but isn't that a rather short axis on which to fit all people?

It is hard for me to imagine that Dickens and Eliot are complementary and sufficient to describe the entire universe. Unless, of course, you start classifying all of us, or celebrities or something, as examples.

 
At 8:17 AM , Blogger Zil said...

Geez Dave, why are you such a hater? No seriously,you're obviously right and I guess that's why I abandoned the project as reductive. But honestly, it's better to describe people along the axis of two authors whose collected pages of writing run to the tens of thousands than some of the other ways that people get classified, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home