It's a Book (and Culture) Club!

Staring procrastination in the face since earlier this morning.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Who's Lucky?

All right, so I just gave my guest lecture on Asian-American literature to a semi-rapt (okay, mostly asleep) class of students. I'm concerned that I may have inadvertantly given the impression that people only dislike Amy Tan because she plays in a rock band with Stephen King. There are MANY more reasons than that to dislike her, people. (Yes, I know I hit one twice, but that's because it's twice as bad.)

I'm also concerned because in my rush to finish at the end, I segued directly from lavish praise for Dictee to lavish praise for Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle. The students were left wondering what exactly is going on inside my head. But really, do you want to live in a world where we're not free to love both multigenre postmodernist autobiographies and stoner comedies? I didn't think so.

Last night's read-alouds: Moses goes to the Circus, Terrific!, Elsina's Clouds, Redwoods are the Tallest Trees in the World, and My First Guide to the Seashore. (Can't wait to get to California next week! Am forcing my child to listen to dull nonfiction books of the 70s in anticipation!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home