It's a Book (and Culture) Club!

Staring procrastination in the face since earlier this morning.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Discuss.

Bitch Ph.D. via Adam Kotsko asks the following question:
Are there "any significant novels or films where the plot hinges on a close friendship between a black woman and a white woman"? Let's expand the question, even, to significant novels or films in which the plot hinges on a close friendship between two women of different races/ethnicities, period.

There's got to be something more interesting than "Bend it Like Beckham," the current frontrunner in Bitch Ph.D's comments....


Last Night's Read-Alouds: The Amazing Bone, Wonderball, The Hello Goodbye Window, Hansel and Gretel

Technorati Tags: , ,

4 Comments:

At 12:32 PM , Blogger Zil said...

Isn't the black woman in Passionfish an employee of the white woman? But that's still better than the embarassing things I keep thinking of (Clueless, Charlie's Angels, etc.)

 
At 10:43 PM , Blogger David said...

Hey, let's talk about Bitch PhD! The banner picture at the top is pitch perfect. How long have you known about this? Will I have that much attitude when I get my PhD, too? There's a pretty good post about being an academic with kids, which might be interesting to you, Dr. Mama.

(Asalad, I don't know what your situation is, but hi, and if you have kids, congrats!).

 
At 8:25 AM , Blogger Zil said...

Yes, she is fighting the good fight. My favorite part of that essay? "People are not brains on sticks." So true.
Still, it doesn't make it any easier for me to leave meetings early (which I ALWAYS have to do, because they AlWAYS run past 4:30) to get the kids from daycare.

 
At 10:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are we defining friendship? Would Susan Choi's American Woman count? I haven't read it, so maybe I shouldn't be bringing it up, but it is on my shelf, and I often pretend to have read it...It's a retelling of the Patty Hearst kidnapping; the central character, Jenny Shimada is Japanese American and I believe ends up on a road trip with Pauline, the Patty Hearst figure.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home