It's a Book (and Culture) Club!

Staring procrastination in the face since earlier this morning.

Friday, February 10, 2006

The New York Times vs. Mothers who Think

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in...

I don't know what's the most offensive about yesterday's New York Times article "Work Versus Family, Complicated by Race".

Is it that the Times's only evidence for a supposed "opt-out" revolution of mothers abandoning the workplace for stay-at-home parenting is a collection of THEIR OWN ARTICLES?

Is it that, in an even more myopic move, they claim that women of color feel left out of this revolution BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT MENTIONED IN THESE ARTICLES?

Nope, it's neither of those. It's that they run an article on motherhood and race, an article that might tap into incredibly important conversations on child care, education, segregation, and class in America (to name just a few) in the freaking THURSDAY STYLES section, a section so fluffy that even Marshmallow Fluff is embarassed.

Apologies for all the shouting, but I'm a little testy these days. My work and family are all complicated by my race, you know.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. I did not see this article. I usually fail in my attempt to boycott the Thursday Styles section, but yesterday I accidentally succeeded. Sounds like it may be time for a letter to the fracking editor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home